Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

What better day to share some of the things that make my life as a mother fulfilling?

My husband wanted to have dinner for me.  I opted to have it last night rather than tonight.  (And it was delicious, by the way.  Filets seared on the stove and then cooked in the oven.  Best steak I've ever had).  William wanted to also make me breakfast this morning.  Not just any breakfast.  Pancakes.  We opted for McDonald's rather than make a mess.  I got the gift I asked for--a nice travel coffee mug.  (Those things are pretty high dollar for what they are!). I have just recently become a daily coffee drinker.  I am also one of those rare moms who would prefer something practical.

Anyway, after breakfast and a little lazing, we went to church.  The boys got their Sunday church donut (the McDonald's breakfast was no deterrent) and Henry headed to the nursery.  The non-nursery children had their short sermon, which consisted mostly of watching a short video on motherhood, and were then instructed to hand out carnations to all the ladies in the church, not just their mothers, and then give each recipient a hug.  William wisely gave me my flower first and then gave flowers  to two other women.  It was adorable to see him give them a hug.  The second lady was at the far end of the pew and he and she stretched to pass/receive the flower.  He had to run back to the front of the church, around the front row and all the way to the back again to give her a hug.  Ahh, I just love that kid.  And then he went on to children's church while we enjoyed an extra EXTRA long sermon on families and prayer.  The conclusion was to have all of the children (nursery also) return to the sanctuary so families could pray together.  Now, this church is really small.  Like, the minister can probably make out my eye color from the pulpit and we sit in the next-to-last pew.  I see Henry and walk to the front to walk him back to our pew.  William comes in and sits next to my parents on the other end of the pew. I put Henry on my lap and bow my head.

Henry, pointing to the screen st the front of the church:  MOM, WHAT'S THAT SAY?

Me:  Shh.  It says "The Lord's Prayer".  We're supposed to be praying quietly.

Henry:  WHAT'S THAT SAY???

Me:  Be quiet Henry.  It says to pray with your family.

Henry:  CAN WE GO TO MIMI'S HOUSE LATER?

Me:  Shhhhh.  You're going to Gaga's.

Henry:  I WANNA GO TO MIMI'S HOUSE AND PLAY WIF SYDNEY!

Me:  You can go to Mimi's house after Gaga's.

Henry:  I CAN GO TO MIMI'S HOUSE LATER?

Me:  Yes.  Shhhhh.

Henry:  I WANT SOMEFIN' HUNGRY!

Me:  Shhhh.  Let's say a prayer together.

Henry:  I. WANT.  SOME.  FIN'. HUN. GRY!

I "quietly" lead him to the small area a the back of the church where the donuts are to get him "somefin' hungry."  They have a HUGE, like 6 foot tall painting of Jesus hanging on the wall.  He's holding his hands out, open palmed.  Henry looks up and asks:

What's God doing?

Before I can answer, "Blessing people." or "Welcoming people."  Henry comes up with his own answer:

I fink he's loving all da peoples.

Melt.

My husband took the boys to see his mother while I relaxed at home.  I was ready for them to come home when they did, though.  We'll go see my mom later. Right now, we're all on the couch together hanging out.  No one is fighting.  Life is good!




2 comments: