Sunday, November 27, 2011

Elf on a Shelf

I have been thinking about doing this for awhile.  I like the idea of creating magic for my children.  I hate the idea of a tattle-tale.  I haven't been fond of the, "If you don't behave, I'll tell Santa" idea for quite awhile.  But, then some of my Bible study mamas started talking about all of the "mischief" that their elf creates.  I started to reconsider.  I was thisclose to putting it in my basket Target.  I looked it over and decided that it was way too creepy looking.  And THEN they aired a 23 minute movie about it on Friday.  It made it into my basket and through the check out this morning.  I still find it creepy looking.

William and Henry spent the night at Gaga and D's (my mother and father-in-law's) last night.  Before pick up, I put the tree up and decorated.  I placed our elf among the decorations.  Henry came in first.  (William had fallen asleep in the car).  Henry was in AWE of the tree.  Especially the jingle bell Christmas balls I bought at the after Christmas sales.  The Christmas tree didn't really register with him last year, so it was so fun to watch him take in the wonder of the lights and ornaments.

Then, William came in.  I tried to subtly point out the elf.

Look up here.  I put your (beloved) snow globe up here.

Yeah, I see it.

See this snowman ornament that broke (strategically placed right in front of the elf).

I see it.

And then, the obvious.

Do you see the elf?

Yeah.  Just like on the movie.  But, it's not a real elf.  It's just a decoration.  It's not magic.

Are you sure?

Yeah.  It's not moving.

The elf in the movie didn't move while the kids were awake.  Not until they went to bed.

It's just a decoration.  It's not magic.

Sigh.  I think that we're supposed to name it.

What about Lightsaber?

Ben:  I don't think that we should name it after a weapon.

What about Stinkypants?

That's not a very nice name.  I would hate for him to have to tell Santa that you named him Stinkypants.

How about just Pants?  That doesn't have Stinky in it.

I don't think so.  What about Pixie?

That's WAY too sparkly.  (Can't argue with that).

How about Foxie? (I really don't know where I came up with that.  Or why I chose to spell it with an -ie rather than a -y.  But after a few rounds, we decided to keep it).

We then read the story and he decided that Foxie WAS indeed magic.  He's still skeptical, though.  Mostly because he doesn't move.

And, as much as I hate the tattle-tale thing, I have to admit that it was a pretty heady feeling to tell him that I might have to tell Foxie about his refusal to finish his dinner.  Worked like a charm. 

(I forgot the best part.  After he first recognized Foxie as being magical, he proclaimed)


I think I'm going to get a little bit naked now.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment