Friday, October 7, 2011

Lost In Translation

So, we were reading an obscure Shel Silverstein book last night called Don't Bump the Glump.  It contains a lot of weird poems.  And I mean that from the context of Shel Silverstein.  That's saying a lot.  I told him I'd read him the whole book. Unfortunately, I took this task literally.  I read every. single. poem.  Even the one called GRU.  The first line is "Don't pooh-pooh the Gru,"  as in don't dismiss or belittle. 

Am I really that dumb?  Because, to William that can only mean, don't defecate on.

And when William laughs, he means it.  He laughs with such sincerity.   From deep inside his belly.


Mom, why do you wanna POOP on the Gru? (belly laugh)

Umm, that's not what it means. It's hard to explain.

But, why you wanna POOP on it?

Sigh.  I tried to ignore the rest until he finally fell asleep.  Not the end of the story, though.

HE WOKE UP LAUGHING.  Half in his sleep.  And continuing the conversation. 

But, why you wanna poop on the Gru?

I give up.


1 comment: